The syrup with onion and honey is an excellent natural syrup to fight cough, whether you have a cold or flu.
It is a natural remedy that can be easily prepared at home, and it has the advantage of having no side effect unlike the drugs usually prescribed for coughs and colds. You will only need onion and honey.
In this article, we will share with you the recipe of a famous natural syrup made from honey and onion.
Honey and onion syrup to relieve cough
The honey and onion combination is a natural remedy that has been used since antiquity as an antitussive.
Both of these ingredients have an antibiotic and expectorant action that can help reduce the symptoms of cough, to prevent it becoming a more serious problem.
In addition, they have the power to strengthen the immune system and thus increase the defenses against viruses, bacteria and other microorganisms responsible for respiratory diseases.
- Benefits of honey: Honey is recognized by the World Health Organization (WHO) as a potential treatment for coughs and colds.
This food has the power to soften the throat to soothe irritation and reduce coughing symptoms.
In addition, it has antioxidant properties and increases the production of substances called cytokines, which are attributed anti-microbial action.
- Benefits of the onion: The onion is known worldwide to be a good natural expectorant.
Its properties promote the elimination of bacteria and stimulate the cleaning of the airways.
This food has a high concentration of antioxidants, purifying properties and detoxifiers that can help control coughs. The onion has the power to relieve the irritation of the throat.
This natural syrup mixes the properties of honey and onion to form an excellent ally against coughs and strengthen the immune system.
These ingredients do not cause any side effects and are safe for children too.
Honey and Onion Recipe Nº1
– 1 medium onion
– 2 glasses of water (400 ml)
– The juice of a lemon
– 2 spoonful of honey (15 g)
How to prepare it
– Peel and cut the onion into large pieces, then boil it with the two glasses of water for 15 minutes.
– Let stand for 5 minutes, and add the two spoonfuls of honey and the juice of a lemon.
– The ideal is to drink it two or three times a day.
Honey and Onion Recipe Nº2
– 1 onion
– 2-3 spoonfuls of honey (50/75 g)
How to prepare it
– Peel and cut the onion into small pieces and put it in a container. Then add the honey and let the mixture rest all night.
– The next morning, filter the mixture through a thick gauze or colander and consume the dose obtained during the day.
– You can take this remedy in its raw form or dilute it in a glass of water.
– It is recommended to take a spoonful of this syrup every two hours for best results.
Whatever the recipe chosen, know that the results are not immediate.
If the remedy works as a sedative, it is still necessary to consume it in several doses so that it is really effective against coughing.
You may also like our list of 22 Sore Throat Remedie