It is a chronic skin disease that occurs when there is an accumulation of dead cells. Symptoms include thick skin patches, redness and dander. In this article, we explain what are the best natural creams to treat psoriasis.
What is psoriasis and why is it triggered?
It is an inflammatory and chronic disease of the skin that produces lesions on the epidermis. It is not contagious but it can be hereditary and is more common in men than in women.
Psoriasis occurs mainly on the back, belly, scalp, knees and elbows.
It can develop at any age, although it is more common in adults between 20 and 55 years old. It starts with mild symptoms and is of autoimmune origin.
The triggers for psoriasis are very varied:
- Diet and alcohol consumption
- Emotional disorders
- Climatic factors
- Endocrine problems
The diet is fundamental to improve the symptoms. The daily diet should consist of:
- Salmon or mackerel (twice a week)
If you do not eat fish, you can opt for oil or flaxseed.
In addition, it is very important to drink (at least) a glass of water every two hours to help the body eliminate toxins that cause inflammation.
- Avoid foods such as chicken, red meat and dairy products because they contain proteins that are difficult to digest by the liver.
- Fast food, sugars and fried foods are not good either.
Natural creams to treat psoriasis
It is important to know that this condition has no cure but that it can be treated to reduce symptoms or to heal skin peeling faster.
For this, we recommend the following homemade creams:
1. Aloe vera
Aloe vera of course occupies the first place in the natural treatments of psoriasis.
- The aloe vera gel has many properties. For example, it is anti-inflammatory and refreshing when the scales cause too much itching.
- To avoid scratching and hurting yourself, it is advisable to apply a little of this liquid several times a day.
It is better to keep it in the refrigerator so that the cold increases the feeling of relief.
- Do not hesitate to grow an aloe vera plant at home and cut stems when necessary.
2. The bitter gourd
This vegetable has many health benefits and can be consumed to strengthen the immune system (ideal for those who suffer from psoriasis) and reduce inflammation.
Plus, it’s a good homemade cream to relieve this condition. Try !
- Just boil the peeled and sliced squash and mash it.
- Once warm or at room temperature, apply to the scales and leave on for 20 minutes before removing with warm water.
3. The banana
You can use banana peel and rub the inner side on lesions caused by psoriasis or make a cream by crushing a banana with a fork.
- This resulting paste is powdered on the affected skin and is left for 15 minutes.
- Once the time has elapsed, rinse with lukewarm water.
4. Baking soda
It is used to relieve itching and exfoliate the skin. It is important to be very careful not to apply it with too abrupt movements as it could irritate the skin.
- 3 tablespoons of baking soda (30 g)
- 1/4 cup of water (62 ml)
- In a container, put the bicarbonate and add the water little by little (better that it is at room temperature).
- Form a paste, and apply it carefully on the squamous patches.
- Leave on for 30 minutes (if it burns, remove before) and rinse with water.
- Dry by giving small strokes with a cotton towel.
5. The chilli
This ingredient used to add spice to dishes can be very useful for treating psoriasis.
It contains a chemical active called capsaicin that reduces pain by inhibiting nerve endings. It also reduces inflammation, redness and flaking.
- You can get the chilli extract from the natural stores and make a paste with a little water, or crush a red pepper in a mortar and achieve the same consistency by mixing it with water.
- Then apply to the affected area and leave on for 10 minutes.
6. Flax seeds
Flax contains essential oils with great anti-inflammatory power. You can use the seeds to prepare an ointment or cream to treat psoriasis, which will be very effective.
- 2 tablespoons of flaxseed (20 g)
- 1/4 cup of water (62 ml)
- Put the seeds in a mortar and crush well to obtain a small powder. You can also use flax flour to avoid this step.
- Add the water little by little to form a homogeneous paste.
- Apply on the psoriasis plaques and leave on for 15 minutes.
- Remove with warm water.